Are you one of those women who use PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) and PCOD (polycystic ovary disease) interchangeably? Well, they are not exactly the same. They share some similar symptoms and complications but differ from each other in some ways. Today we will provide you with the relevant information regarding the situations.
It is a condition in which the ovaries become enlarged and contain partially matured eggs. Moreover, these partially matured eggs convert into cysts. The main causes of this situation are junk food, excess weight, stress, and hormonal imbalance. Symptoms of PCOD are irregular periods, infertility and hair loss.
It is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce excessive male hormones (androgen), which eventually leads to the formation of cysts in the ovaries. Because of this, the eggs do not get released, leading to infertility. Symptoms include acne, obesity, unwanted hair growth, and scalp hair loss, among others.
Differences Between PCOS And PCOD
- The main difference between both of them is that PCOS is a severe condition that requires special attention whereas PCOD can be treated with some minor changes. All you need to do is get a proper and healthy diet and exercise regularly to improve the situation. PCOD is not considered a disease.
- It is observed that PCOD is a more common condition whereas PCOS is suffered by comparatively less numb of women.
- Women suffering from PCOS face serious complications. Insulin resistance increases the chances of diabetes. High blood pressure, obesity, cardiovascular diseases are also seen in women with PCOS.
- PCOS is more common in teenage girls. Symptoms such as acne, unwanted hair growth, and obesity are seen at an early age.
- With medical help, the condition of infertility can be treated in case of PCOD whereas it is more complicated with PCOS.
- Ovulation still takes place in women with PCOD whereas a serious hormonal imbalance with PCOS prevents ovulation.
Tips to Help Improve PCOS and PCOD Symptoms
1. Exercise Regularly
Exercising regularly will not only help you reduce weight but can keep some serious diseases away. If you are overweight, then chances are you can help relieve the hormonal imbalance by burning a few calories. It can help reduce insulin resistance, too. Exercising can help you reduce the fat surrounding your abdomen, which is the main reason behind insulin resistance.
Hormonal imbalance can affect your mood to a great extent. Studies have shown that women suffering from PCOS and similar conditions usually get stressed out more. Therefore, meditating regularly can help you release stress and calm your body. Take some time out of your busy schedule and understand your inner body and soul better. Give your body a break.
3. Proper Diet
You can consult a dietitian for a proper diet plan. Eating healthy can help relieve the symptoms of conditions, such as PCOS and PCOD. It can also help protect you from various diseases. Eat more food rich in magnesium, calcium, and protein. Stay away from food that includes excessive amounts of fat or sugar.
Maintaining your weight and eating right is the solution. If you observe any of the above symptoms of PCOS and PCOD get yourself checked. Furthermore, if you make a few lifestyle changes and eat a PCOS-diet, you can deal with the situation. Do not worry at all, you got this!